Societal Issues Targeted:
- Connecting people across demographics using bubbles, and promoting community connection
- Reminding people of a time when it was normal to be friendly and have fun with people they’d just met
Real change occurs from the bottom up; it occurs person to person, and it almost always occurs in small groups and locales and then bubbles up and aggregates to larger vectors of change
- Grab some Bubbles
- Go and invite people on the streets to blow some with you, and each other
- Post photos in our Facebook page to share your positive experience and inspire others to do the same
It works great alone to meet positive people, or you can grab a few friends and post in our community to find other positive social action heroes to join you.
Give a Bubble is a really simple and fun way to spread happiness and positivity. We invite everyone walking passed to join us for the simple joy of blowing bubbles together and turn the sky into a magical landscape flooded with beautiful little planets; and as any 4 year old will tell you “bubbles are the most amazing, astounding thing in the world!!” ..this is why 4 year olds have more fun than us!
Invite your friends and ask them all to bring a few bottles so they have for themselves, and a few to give out to people passing by, so everyone can can be part of the happiness and connection.
Its all about simple fun, enjoyment and showing warmth to those around us. As with all of our events it is designed to make the world we live in feel warmer, friendlier and safer for everyone.
Take a few minutes and imagine someone who has watched the news too much and has become nervous off others around them because all they see are negative stories of bad things with a high powered spotlight focused on, making those things seem like a normal occurrence, ignoring the other 99.999% of wonderful and caring humans, and normally choosing to ignore the circumstances that lead to the damaging choices and situations that came before the news story.
..or imagine a young kid, who is feeling pressured to join a gang for protection because the World around them feels like a threatening and unsafe place – not helped by movies and musicians who (guided by big record and marketing corporations) glamorise aggressive attitudes and lifestyles for profit, rather than telling the World about something meaningful to them.
Perhaps even imagine someone who is about to make a terrible choice, one that will get the reporters running, eager and excited to tell as many people as they can about the negative thing that happened.
Now ask yourself; if a stranger offered them a bottle of bubbles and invited them to join in and be a part of an incredibly positive atmosphere full of happiness and smiles – could that simple act of unexpected kindness and the warmth of the experience change their feelings towards the community and people around them enough to chose a different path???
I think it there is some chance. If you disagree then you absolutely need to join us making and telling everyone about Focallocal events until the World fills with simple fun events, because even the most cynical person will have to admit that if their local communtiy were filled with events which reached out to others with happiness and kindness there would be a much greater feeling that we lived in a safe, warm, open, connected and welcoming place!
If you want to run one yourself you can invite lots of people and ask them to bring 2 or 3 bottles each, or alternatively you could grab lots of little bottles really cheap and go yourself, or just with one or two friends – here’s a link to 24 unbelievably brilliant little bottles i found for £3. no kidding, i’ve got loads of more expensive ones in my van, but i give out these 1st as they are absolutely the most effective little smile makers around. its a great investment, as you can fill it up from a mix of dish detergent liquid (or liquid soap, or bubble bath) and water – so any time you want to fill the sky with bubbles in the future it costs less than £1 to refill them.
- BE A BUBBLE GOD!!! Check out bubble blowing machines from Amazon, or any toy store – some of them produce more bubbles than 1000 people blowing could! with 2 or 3 of them the entire world will transform into a vivid dream land of wonder!! (and they are cheap!)
- Warning! If lots of people do this on a smooth floor, for example like a shopping centre the floor will quickly become very slippery and people might get hurt.
- Most washing up liquid will work to refill your bubble blowing devices ready for the next time in a 60% – 40% mix with water. Add a little water and test, then add little more if it doesn’t bubble well.
- Why not buy one of our “Ask me if you’d like to blow a Bubble” badges and share bubbly happiness all day, every day!!!
Legal Stuff (how it worked out for us)
if the event gets really large you might get some attention from the police. In the UK you can apply for a Temporary Events Notice (a T.E.N) but personally i think the right for the public to gather in a public space and enjoy a positive activity is (and certainly should be) a protected human right! I have very rarely applied for one, and i’ve had a few discussions with the police but after i explain that its is simply a gathering of local people and a positive community event with no money being exchanged, the police have never made us stop. We were once asked to move, but the officer suggested another near by location.