Imagine a World where every time you walked out your door there was some interesting and fun activity going on. Imagine if it was just normal for people you hadn’t met before to smile as they see you and ask if you’d like to join in. That’s the vision our Public Happiness Movement is based on.
Imagine how many lonely and isolated people living in our society today would feel supported, rather than on the outside. Imagine the effect everyone living and growing up in a world that felt safe, friendly and supportive would have. Imagine how much safer and more connected life would feel if these positive social actions were all around you, all of the time!
Imagine if everyone knew they could come together and use these positive actions as tools to tackle all the serious societal issues we face in life today!
I did! Now I find myself living in a big van called Connie (for Connection) which is adorned in colourful happy paintings from the many of the wonderful people who support us and have joined in Public Happiness Activities from all around the world.
My mission: to show everyone I meet how easy it is to make a positive difference to the World around them, while spreading my vision for how together we can build a happier and more connected World through positive social action, by using simple Public Happiness Activities and Projects which reach out to others in your community.
Most Activities take as much time as meeting your friends for a coffee! Its so easy, and why wouldn’t anyone want to live in a friendlier, happier and safer place?
I begun running our Public Happiness Activities in London in 2012, and the responses I received from those who joined in, and pass by has been astonishing! i’ve received messages and photo’s from people who experienced our London Public Happiness Activities and were inspired to recreate them, or similar activities in France, Canada, Australia, Poland, Austria and New Zealand already. The genuine happiness and enthusiasm for change that a small group of proactive people is able to instil in hundreds of passers-by forced me to question; what impact would a community of 1000 ..or 10,000 people running positive social action activities in their local community, have on the world? I was inspired to find out!
The aim of the roadtrip drive around Europe, then down through the Middle East and then onwards towards Vietnam. Our project has no funding, and it suits us that way. We’ve turned down corporations wanting to sponsor our community projects, and we don’t want government funding. Aiming to bring people together and show that together we can all change the World around us. We don’t need government funding, begging for donations, or rich sponsors to make positive change possible!
The money I saved up counselling troubled young people before the project is gone, and so we will float or sink by reducing costs and on the kindness and support from people who want to see us succeed.
How you can Support the Road Trip and the Focallocal Public Happiness Project:
- Our van Connie has been converted to run on Waste Vegetable Oil, if we are coming to your town ask a few local restaurants, and fast food places if we can come and collect some of their waste veg oil. Some have contracts to sell their waste, but most just throw it out – we can use it to spread happiness and build connection! :0)
- Invite Andy and the team for a shower!
- Invite all your friends on social media to come join us for Public Happiness Activities
- Head to the Gatherings Map and create your own Public Happiness Activities
- Donate any old food you have knocking around that probably wont eat (vegetarian)
- Study partners – Focallocal looks like all fun and stuff, but we spend a lot of time online building, planning and plotting our project. I’d love some company while I work, especially if you know where we can get free Wifi!
- Please feel welcome and invited to jump in a car, motorbike, or take a tent, stick out your thumb and go hitch-hiking and come join me! I’d love to have you join our adventure to change the World!